1. Lydia Davis (Maybe the best prose stylist writing today?)
2. Richard Yates (Though Revolutionary Road is a modern classic, his short stories may be even better).
3. Flannery O’Conner (With her gifts, she was allowed to stifle as many would-be writers as she wanted)
4. Junot Diaz (Admit it, you enjoyed Drown and This Is How You Lose Her more than The Wonderful World of Oscar Wao)
5. Jhumpa Lahiri (While in college, she spent her weekends roaming used bookstores. One day, we will scour used bookstores for rare editions of her work).